Wednesday, February 28, 2024

Serve and Give

"Just so, the Son of Man did not come to be served 
but to serve and to give his life as a ransom for many.” 
MATTHEW 20:28


Jesus’s emphasizes the sacrificial nature of discipleship and the inversion of worldly concepts of greatness. He explains that greatness in the kingdom of heaven is not about power and authority, but about service and sacrifice, just as He came not to be served, but to serve and give His life as a ransom for many. Places of honor are not His to give, but are for those for whom they have been prepared by His Father. This underscores the idea that honors in the kingdom of heaven are determined by God’s will and not by human ambition or request. It’s a powerful reminder of the sovereignty of God and the humility required in discipleship. 

17 As Jesus was going up to Jerusalem, he took the Twelve disciples aside by themselves, and said to them on the way, 18 “Behold, we are going up to Jerusalem, and the Son of Man will be handed over to the chief priests and the scribes, and they will condemn him to death, 19 and hand him over to the Gentiles to be mocked and scourged and crucified, and he will be raised on the third day.” 20 Then the mother of the sons of Zebedee approached Jesus with her sons and did him homage, wishing to ask him for something. 21 He said to her, “What do you wish?” She answered him, “Command that these two sons of mine sit, one at your right and the other at your left, in your kingdom.” 22 Jesus said in reply, “You do not know what you are asking. Can you drink the chalice that I am going to drink?” They said to him, “We can.” 23 He replied, “My chalice you will indeed drink, but to sit at my right and at my left, this is not mine to give but is for those for whom it has been prepared by my Father.” 24 When the ten heard this, they became indignant at the two brothers. 25 But Jesus summoned them and said, “You know that the rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and the great ones make their authority over them felt. 26 But it shall not be so among you. Rather, whoever wishes to be great among you shall be your servant; 27 whoever wishes to be first among you shall be your slave. 28 Just so, the Son of Man did not come to be served but to serve and to give his life as a ransom for many.” (Matthew 20:17-28)

As Jesus and His disciples made their way to Jerusalem, where His destiny lay. "Behold," He said, "the Son of Man will be tried, by chief priests and scribes, my fate won't be denied. Mocked and scourged and crucified, I'll be, but fear not, for on the third day, you'll see." Then came the mother of Zebedee's sons with a request, under the setting suns. "One at your right, the other at your left, in your kingdom, let this be their bequest." Jesus replied, "You know not what you ask, can you drink the chalice, take on the task?" They said, "We can." And Jesus did agree, "My chalice you will drink, but you'll see, to sit at my right and left, is not mine to give, it's for those prepared by my Father, in His realm to live." The ten heard and indignation they felt at the two brothers, their hearts began to melt. But Jesus summoned them, and made it clear, "Greatness in my kingdom, is not as it appears here. The rulers of Gentiles lord it over them, but among you, it shall not be the same. Whoever wishes to be great, shall be your servant, and the first among you, shall be as a fervent. Just so, the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and give His life, as you observed."

Lord Jesus, as You journeyed to Jerusalem, You shared with Your disciples the path You were to tread. You spoke of betrayal, of death and resurrection, yet in Your divine wisdom, You led. We find ourselves in the shoes of Zebedee's sons asking for glory, for seats at Your right and left. Yet, You remind us of the chalice You drank, of the sacrifice You made, so deft. "You do not know what you are asking," You said, and indeed, we often do not understand. But we trust in Your wisdom, Your guidance as we navigate life's shifting sand. Help us to remember that greatness in Your kingdom is not about power, not about might but about service, about humility, about walking in Your holy light. Just as You came not to be served, but to serve, help us to follow in Your way to give of ourselves, to love one another and to seek Your kingdom each day. Amen.


There will always be people who will repay the good that you have done with evil. You may even face opposition and hostility from those you were trying to help. Stand up for what’s right, even when it’s not popular or easy. Seek God’s guidance and protection in the face of adversity.

18 The people of Judah and the citizens of Jerusalem said, “Come, let us contrive a plot against Jeremiah. It will not mean the loss of instruction from the priests nor of counsel from the wise nor of messages from the prophets. And so, let us destroy him by his own tongue; let us carefully note his every word.” 19 Heed me, O Lord, and listen to what my adversaries say. 20 Must good be repaid with evil that they should dig a pit to take my life? Remember that I stood before you to speak in their behalf, to turn away your wrath from them. (Jeremiah 18:18-20)

In Judah's heart and Jerusalem's soul, a plot against Jeremiah began to unroll. "Let's not lose the priest's instruction," they said, "Nor the wise's counsel, nor the prophet's thread. Let's use his own tongue for his demise, carefully noting his every word, his every sigh. Heed us, O Lord, listen to our plea, see how your servant's words against us flee. Must good be repaid with evil, is that the way? Should they dig a pit for my life, lead me astray? Remember, O Lord, I stood before you for them, to turn away your wrath, to break the condemn."

Lord, our God, in the face of adversity and plots, we seek Your divine protection. Just as Jeremiah stood amidst the people of Judah and Jerusalem, we too find ourselves in times of trials and tribulations. We pray for strength and wisdom, to stand firm in our faith, to not lose the instruction from our spiritual guides, nor the counsel from the wise, nor the messages from Your prophets. Help us to use our words wisely, to bring peace and not discord. Hear us, O Lord, listen to our plea, in the face of adversaries, may we find Your grace. Must good be repaid with evil, we ask? Guide us away from such paths, lead us to Your righteousness. Remember, O Lord, our intentions to serve You, to speak on behalf of those who cannot, to turn away Your wrath from them. In Your mercy, we seek refuge. In Your love, we find hope. Amen.


The Lord sets you free. Trust in God even in the midst of fear and danger. Commends your spirit into God’s hands, expressing your faith that God will deliver you from your enemies and persecutors.

⁵ You will free me from the snare they set for me, for you are my refuge. ⁶ Into your hands I commend my spirit; you will redeem me, O Lord, O faithful God. 14 I hear the whispers of the crowd that frighten me from every side, as they consult together against me, plotting to take my life. 15 But my trust is in you, O Lord; I say, “You are my God.” 16 In your hands is my destiny; rescue me from the clutches of my enemies and my persecutors. (Psalm 31:5-6, 14, 15-16)

From the snare they set, You will set me free, in You, my refuge, my sanctuary, I see. Into Your hands, my spirit, I commend, You will redeem me, O Lord, my faithful friend. Whispers of the crowd, they echo in the night, frightening me, surrounding me, with all their might. Against me, they consult, they plot, they strive, Yet in You, O Lord, my trust, my faith, I derive. "You are my God," I say, amidst the storm, In Your hands, my destiny, my life, takes form. Rescue me, O Lord, from my enemies, my persecutors, in Your love, I find my defenders, my prosecutors.

Lord, our Refuge and Redeemer, from the snares they set, You promise to free me, into Your hands, I commend my spirit, faithfully. I hear the whispers of the crowd, causing fear, plotting against me, their intentions clear. Yet, in You, O Lord, my trust remains, “You are my God,” my heart proclaims. In Your hands, my destiny lies, rescue me from my enemies, hear my cries.
You are my refuge, my faithful God, guide me on Your path, where Your saints have trod. Amen.




Pericope:

VI: Ministry in Judea and Jerusalem
THE THIRD PREDICTION OF THE PASSION / THE REQUEST OF JAMES AND JOHN
Matthew 20:17-19 / 20-28

Book of Jeremiah
ANOTHER PRAYER FOR VENGEANCE
Jeremiah 18:18-23

First Book of Psalms 1-41
PRAYER IN DISTRESS AND THANKSGIVING FOR ESCAPE
Psalm 31:1-25

Reflection Source:
Copilot with Bing Chat

SERVE WITHOUT FEAR

SERVE WITHOUT FEAR Grant us that we, being delivered from the hand of our enemies, might serve him without fear, in holiness and righteo...