Sunday, March 13, 2011

Religious Exercises

Our wish, our object, our chief preoccupation must be to form Jesus in ourselves, to make his spirit, his devotion, his affections, his desires, and his disposition live and reign there. All our religious exercises should be directed to this end. It is the work which God has given us to do unceasingly. -- St. John Eudes

Jesus said, "Begone, Satan! for it is written, `You shall worship the Lord your God and him only shall you serve.'" (Matthew 4:10)

Sin came into the world through one man and death through sin, and so death spread to all men because all men sinned (Romans 5:12).

The serpent said to the woman, "You will not die. For God knows that when you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil." So when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was a delight to the eyes, and that the tree was to be desired to make one wise, she took of its fruit and ate; and she also gave some to her husband, and he ate. Then the eyes of both were opened, and they knew that they were naked (Genesis 3:4-7).

If, because of one man's trespass, death reigned through that one man, much more will those who receive the abundance of grace and the free gift of righteousness reign in life through the one man Jesus Christ (Romans 5:17).

For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by one man's obedience many will be made righteous (Romans 5:19).

Lord, I know my transgressions, and my sin is ever before me. Against you have I sinned, and done that which is evil in your sight. I was brought forth in iniquity, and in sin did my mother conceive me.

You desire truth in my inward being; therefore teach me wisdom in my secret heart. Restore to me the joy of your salvation, and uphold me with a willing spirit. Then I will teach transgressors your ways, and sinners will return to you.

The sacrifice acceptable to God is a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart, O God, you wilt not despise. (Psalms 51: 3 - 6, 12 - 13, 17)

SERVE WITHOUT FEAR

SERVE WITHOUT FEAR Grant us that we, being delivered from the hand of our enemies, might serve him without fear, in holiness and righteo...